A small sample of my work from over the years.
Newspaper Work (Recent)
- Irish Member of Parliament said he would “sooner go to jail” than wear a mask when at work – in the Sunday Independent.
- Taoiseach [Ireland’s Prime Minister] left stranded in Brussels after government jet broke down – in the Irish Independent.
- Irish government considered use of social distance index to track movement of citizens during Covid-19 pandemic – from the Irish Mail on Sunday.
- Toll of stress and anxiety on Irish police led to the loss of at least 11,176 working days in 2020 – from the Irish Times.
- ‘Rogue fox’ urinated in Department of the Taoiseach, and dead rats found in Leinster House car park – read in the Irish Independent.
Newspaper Work (Older)
- A series of stories on expenses and overseas travel by the former Ceann Comhairle [Speaker of Parliament] John O’Donoghue, which subsequently led to his resignation. You can read a selection of that work here, here, and here.
- How the former Taoiseach [Prime Minister] Enda Kenny intervened to break a salary cap by €35,000 for a friend and former advisor – read the story in the Irish Mail on Sunday.
- How an Irish government minister claimed mileage expenses for trips to and from his holiday home because he was working in his car – read the story from the Irish Mail on Sunday.
- A series of stories that culminated in the repayment of more than €3,000 by the Fine Gael TD [Member of Parliament] Michelle Mulherin for phone calls made to a friend in Kenya. Read the final report here.
- How a former government minister John Perry hired his wife to work as his €38,000-a-year parliamentary assistant. And his explanation afterwards.
- Reporting on a prank painting of ex-Taoiseach Brian Cowen that was hung in the National Gallery, and the government’s ill-judged over-reaction.
Television Work (Historic links may no longer work)
- Duty of Care – an in-depth report into the abject failings of a health board to act on repeated allegations of sexual and physical abuse in a foster care home.
- Working on the workhouse – a written report on the controversial redevelopment of an old workhouse that cost €4 million and was never finished. A link to the documentary itself.
- ‘No Expenses Spared’ – two databases covering expenses paid to TDs & Senators and to government ministers, which were prepared for the website of the RTÉ Investigations Unit. These were published alongside a series of reports on loopholes and grey areas in the Irish political expenses system. Also, a third database of political pensions.
- Seeking Asylum in Ireland: an in-depth look at statistics on those who seek refugee status in Ireland, their chances of success, and the conditions that they live in.
- Suicide: The Figures – a detailed analysis of fourteen years of official figures on one of Ireland’s most intractable problems.
Travel News Writing:
- New online sharing site offers language lessons for a bed in 114 countries – article here.
- Experts discover how the Leaning Tower of Pisa has survived major earthquakes – for Lonely Planet.
- Stairway to the heavens: astro-tourism on the rise worldwide – read the piece here.
- US company offers ‘on demand’ air travel – available at Lonely Planet.
- If you go down to the woods this summer, be sure of a big surprise – article available here.
- Billionaire John Collison to spend €6m on derelict Laois ‘doer-upper’ mansion.
- Ministers approved €53k salary boost for new Horse Racing Ireland chief.
- Google warns against curbs to data centre developments in Ireland.
- Dublin’s airport authority repeatedly asked regulator not to levy fines for long queues.